How to Paint Smoke
Skill Level: 1 Beginner, 2 Intermediate
Medium: Acrylic Painting, Oil Painting
Tutor: Nolan Clark
Class Length: 1 Hour 39 Minutes
In this real time paint along class we will paint a portrait with smoke in acrylic.
During the class you will learn:
1) How to paint a monochrome portrait
2) How to combine multiple photos together
3) How to paint a glowing effect
4) How to paint a smoke effect
and much more…
For the class you will need :
1) a 16″ x 12″ canvas (roughly 400mm x 300mm). Paint the canvas black before class. I will use Paynes Grey to do that.
2) Set of bristle brushes
3) Titanium White, Paynes Grey (or whatever black you have used), Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Orange, Burnt Sienna, Raw Umber, French Ultramarine
4) Painting Knife
5) Fine round brushes
6) 1/4″ Soft filbert
sheila troutman (verified owner) –
Challenging and a very different learning experience as this lesson required a new and different technique from any I had previously done. And it was fun to see how the subject formed from a black canvas to a vibrant silhouette.